Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Second Amendment Stays Part of the Constitution


In a 5-4 ruling the Unites States Supreme Court upheld the rights of citizens to own and keep guns in their homes. Here is a link to the story from Associated Press writer Mark Sherman:




At the risk of appearing pessimistic, and although I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard the decision being handed down from the bench, I am not jubilant today. In fact, I am somewhat frightened. I feel trepidation and a bit of apprehension because I am flabbergasted that only five of the Justices to the Supreme Court felt compelled to corroborate the Constitution of the United States, a document they have sworn to uphold and defend. Here is exactly what the Second Amendment to the United States says:


"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."


What these four dissenting Justices (Ruth Bader Ginsburg, John Paul Stevens, David Souter, and Stephen Breyer) have attempted to do is to circumvent the Constitutional process and by judicial fiat declare null and void an amendment to the Constitution of the United States!


It is frightening that a member of the United States Supreme Court, Justice John Paul Stevens, could read the Second Amendment and say the following of those on the Court who upheld it: " . . . (the majority) would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."


Unbelievable. And if that is not enough to turn your stomach, read what dissenting Justice Stephen Breyer had to say: "In my view, there simply is no untouchable constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to keep loaded handguns in the house in crime-ridden urban areas."


Simply mind-boggling. The same people who wish to take away the guns and rights of law-abiding United States of America citizens to defend their home and property are the same people who wish to grant Constitutional rights to armed terrorists! As I said earlier, unbelievable.


I am not a member of the NRA, and I have never owned any firearms in my life other than a BB gun as a child. But I am a full supporter of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. The United States Supreme Court has no right, according to the Constitution, to declare an Amendment to that Constitution null and void. It becomes more apparent each and every day that our education system has failed miserably in teaching United States history and our Constitution and Bill of Rights.


Each day that approaches it becomes very apparent just how important the upcoming presidential election will be, for the next President of the United States invariably will appoint one or two Justices to the Court. Do we wish to continue as a Republic form of government, where are basic rights of Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, and the Right to Bear Arms are upheld and defended, or do we wish to continue on the downward spiral and fall into the hands of a leftist ruling dictatorial oligarchy? But whatever happens, we can rest assured that God's will will be done: "Be subject to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether to the king, as supreme; or unto governors, as sent by him for vengeance on evil-doers and for praise to them that do well. For so is the will of God, that by well-doing you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:" (1 Peter 2:13-15)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Right to Bear Arms"...such a volatile issue.

The Founders were wise to institute a court of nine individuals, as they must have among themselves discovered varied and singularly, strong and heart felt but still, very different opininions. Interpretations may be different, yet all may be correct.

Recall the story of the three blind men describing an elephant. Dependent on each of their perspectives, whether the trunk, body, or tail, each one believed they had the right and correct interpretation. Which one is right? Which one is wrong?

The Second Amendment could be read or interpreted as follows: A well regulated Militia, (is) being necessary (for) to the security of a free State, (therefore) the right of the (citizens) people to keep and bear Arms (for the protection of the state), shall not be infringed.

Interpretation - I am thankful we can bear arms for the protection of the state. This however, brings into question just what is/are arms? Is it okay to keep a U.S. M1A1 Abrams tank in my garage?

I personally wish all handguns would be eliminated. I just don't like handguns, but if someone wants to protect their home and state with a rifle or shotgun, fine with me. Rapid fire automatics? No. For what purpose?

This subject will never be settled to everyone's satisfaction. In the end, I have only one, no two rules to govern me: To love God first, and to love others after that. Falling under this triangle enables me to not be too judgemental, and to trust the Lord in all things.

So that is where I am. I too, have no weapons in my home and tend to shy away from homes I know harbor such instruments....And I am so thankful five of the nine justices believe and interpreted as they have.

Anonymous said...

While I don't see a need for people to own grenade launchers etc., I'm relieved the Court ruled on behalf of citizens who deserve the right to protect themselves against those who would harm law abiding families. Also, RTBA is meant to provide Americans the right to defend themselves if our govt. got whacked out like Chavez/Venezuela.

Like David, it bothers me that the ruling was so close, but a win is a win.

"I too, have no weapons in my home ...."

Sure you do. Your wife. ;^)

Anonymous said...

...The Founders were wise to institute a court of nine individuals...

Actually, the first Supreme Court consisted of six individuals, first called to assemble on Feb. 1, 1790 before settling at nine in 1869...ref http://usgovinfo.about.com/blcthistory.htm

I stand corrected...:)

Anonymous said...

Im a junior member of the N.R.A.

;)

Figure it out