Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cups of Water and Lawn Mowers


Knowing that our heavenly Father sees us and cares for us should be enough to motivate and encourage us to remain faithful. Even though no one else outside Christ understands " . . . the peace of God, which passes all understanding . . . " (Philippians 4:7) that is available to all Christians, we can choose to respond to His promise when He tells us, "And whatsoever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord you shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for you serve the Lord Christ." (Colossians 3:23-24) Let the Lord's love be enough for you today as our nation prepares to celebrate yet another birthday. Do something for someone else this week, and do it in the name of the Lord. Someday you will receive a full reward for all that you have done. "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time." (1 Peter 5:6) And as James concurs, "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall exalt you." (Hebrews 4:10)
As Jesus our Lord said, "For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink, because ye are Christ's, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward." (Mark 9:41) Little things, small things, what some people might even call insignificant things are often times used by the Lord to make huge differences in our lives. A cup of cool water offered in the name of Jesus to one who is parched and thirsty becomes something that is wonderfully powerful. When brothers and sisters in Christ share and honor Him by doing what they can to help each other, and they use the talents that the Lord has blessed them with, they honor the Lord, and fulfill His command to " . . . love one another . . . " (John 13:34). In such circumstances, a cup of cool water is much more than a drink, it becomes a holy gift given to the Lord Himself.
Such was the case this week with my own family. I am, by no means, a mechanic. I would not know a Johnson rod if it came up and bit me. (I do not know if there is such a thing as a Johnson rod.) So what may seem like small potatoes to someone else can become a big problem for someone such as me, such as trying to figure out how to get my mower to start and to keep running. Enter Max VanMatre.
Brother Max offered to take a look at our mower and to see what was going on with it, and so I obliged him and took it over to his house. Within a day, and I kid you not, brother Max had the mower running better than the day I brought it home from Wal-Mart. I do not know what all he did with it, although I should since he told me, but since I am mechanically illiterate, it basically went in one ear and out the other. But I do know that he sharpened the blades, and I know he fixed a wheel or two, and I know he cleaned it up, and I know it is running now, whereas it was not before. But to hear brother Max tell it, all he did was offer me a cup of water. So thank you, brother Max, for your assistance. It was appreciated greatly, and the Lord will bless you for it!
May the Lord bless you and our nation!

No comments: