Thursday, February 10, 2011

Don't Blame God

The following is the first public devotional my 12 year old son, Damien, gave last night at our mid-week Bible study.

It is easy being a Christian when everything is going well, but for some people as soon as the going gets rough they leave. They want to just give up. Jesus talked about this type of person when He said in Matthew 13:20-21, 20. What was planted on rocky soil is the person who hears the message and accepts it with gladness right away. 21. However, he does not have deep roots in himself; he doesn't last long. When, because of the message, trouble or persecution comes, he soon gets discouraged and gives up.

One of the hardest things to do as a Christian, then, is to remain loyal and true to the Lord even when things aren’t going so well. As you probably know, this past Sunday evening I was bit in the face by one of our dogs. It’s possible I might be disfigured from this, but at the least, I will have scars. I didn’t want this to happen to me, I don’t know why this happened to me, but it did. Maybe this is part of the cross Jesus said I should take up and bear (Matthew 16:24).

My Mom and Dad have always taught my brothers and me that regardless of what happens in life, we should never blame God or quit serving Him. I’m so glad they have done this, because it’s also true that Jesus never said that being a Christian meant nothing bad would ever happen to us again. No, He didn’t say that, but He did say that He has promised that He will always love us and be with us forever. And I believe and trust that, and I take comfort in those words, even when bad things happen to me!

So whenever something goes wrong in your life please remember what the Lord tells us in Hebrews 13:5:

“God Himself has said this: ‘I will never leave you. I will never abandon you.’”

And if we truly believe and trust in Him then one day we will get to hear those great words,

“Fine! You are a good and faithful servant. I see that I can trust you with small things. Therefore, I will put you in charge of important things. Come and share your master's happiness.” (Matthew 25:23)

1 comment:

Marie T. Dozier said...

Wonderful! You must be so proud!! I'm very proud of him:-)