Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Soaring on the Wings of the Wind

I would like to share with you a few of my favorite Old Testament verses. Speaking of our great and powerful Almighty God, the psalmist declares,

9 He bowed the heavens and came down; thick darkness was under His feet. 10 He rode on a Cherub and flew; He came swiftly on the wings of the wind. (Psalm 18:9-10 [ESV])

“The chariots of God are twice ten thousand, thousands upon thousands; the Lord is among them; Sinai is now in the sanctuary” (Psalm 68:17 [ESV]).

32 O kingdoms of the Earth, sing to God; sing praises to the Lord, 33 to Him Who rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens; behold, He sends out His voice, His mighty voice. 34 Ascribe power to God, Whose majesty is over Israel, and Whose power is in the skies. (Psalm 68:32-34 [ESV])

1 Bless the LORD, O my soul! O LORD my God, You are very great! You are clothed with splendor and majesty, 2 covering Yourself with light as with a garment, stretching out the heavens like a tent. 3 He lays the beams of His chambers on the waters; He makes the clouds His chariot; He rides on the wings of the wind; 4 He makes His messengers winds, His ministers a flaming fire. (Psalm 104:1-4 [ESV])

I love the imagery these verses evoke. A Cherub is a powerful Angel. I like to believe the inspired Scriptures of God, the God-breathed words placed into the authors’ hearts, minds and hands by the Spirit of God as those men wrote His word, that His word says what it means. If they say God rides His chariot through the clouds or across the deserts then I prefer just to accept what His word says by faith and I, by faith, can picture Him enjoying all of His wondrous creation from His lofty position above.

Jesus said we are to come to Him as little children (Matthew 18:3). I only wish we really would do that. If a small and innocent child hears these verses from Psalms read aloud, his little eyes would widen in wonder as he pictured in his mind God flying on the back of an Angel, sweeping across the endless skies above! When we adults hear those words, however, too often we dismiss them out of hand as being too fanciful for us to believe! Maybe I am simply not sophisticated enough, but in my naïve mind I am perfectly fine with seeing these Scriptures as a little child understands them. If the Scriptures teach that God rides on the back of a Cherub to survey the Earth, then I love to believe it and I can see Him doing whatever He wants to do just because He can. My preference is to believe rather than simply explain away. I love the enjoyment and thrill it gives me to just think about my God Who rides His chariot on the wind, just as I long for the Day to arrive when I will see Him coming on the clouds, too! I hope He comes tonight while I am looking because He tells us in His word, “Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches” (Revelation 16:15 [NKJV]).

No comments: