Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sometimes, It's Okay to Say, "I Don't Know!"

Years ago while I was working as a reservations agent for the Frequent Flyer Department of Trans World Airlines, I received a call from a woman asking me a question about her accumulated miles. I do not remember exactly what the question was she had, but I do know I did not know the answer at the time, and so I told her, “I don’t know, ma’am. But I’ll be happy to find out for you. Please hold.” But before I placed her on hold the woman responded, “Wait a minute. Is this new policy or something?” I said, “What do you mean?” She said, “Every other time I’ve called and asked an agent a question he or she didn’t know, they ended up telling me something wrong, and I ended up making several more calls before I finally found out what was true. It was all very frustrating. So it was nice hearing someone actually say, “I don’t know” instead of lying to me. Thanks!” I said, “You’re very welcome! Let me see what I can find out for you. I’ll be right back, so please hold!”

God’s word tells us that “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him Who called us to His own glory and excellence” (2 Peter 1:3 [RSV]). We also are told, 16. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17. that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 2:16-17 [RSV]) Additionally, the Apostle Peter admonishes us to “Always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence” (1 Peter 3:15 [RSV]). I believe that many well-meaning Christian men and women read these passages and erroneously conclude that a disciple of Christ can never respond to a Biblical question from another by saying, “I don’t know.” That, however, is simply not true. Not only is it okay to say, “I don’t know,” sometimes that is the BEST thing to say to someone asking you a question. We must never let our own self-pride get in the way, for we may end up harming someone in the process, even ourselves. Take, for example, the Ethiopian eunuch. Philip asked him, “Do you understand what you are reading?” and the eunuch responded with, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” (Acts 8:30-31) Had the eunuch said to Philip, “Yes, I know!” the eunuch may very well have lost out on his salvation in Christ. Or look at the example of Chloe and her people (1 Corinthians 1:11). What would have happened to the church at Corinth if they had not asked for help from the Apostle Paul concerning the many problems the church was facing? Most likely they would have kept going down a road of apostasy, and we would never have benefited from Paul’s writing First and Second Corinthians. Although it is okay to say, “I don’t know,” we should never let this become a crutch and continue to remain in willful ignorance. We are also told, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15 [RSV]). This will only come through our prayerfully and diligently studying of God’s holy word.

2 comments:

Marie T. Dozier said...

Very good post, David! I appreciate your thoughts!

David R. Ferguson said...

Thanks, Marie!