Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Light to My Path

A man named Maurice Freehill once said, “Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the light?” If I were to answer the question, I would choose the second option.

Many people, even those who are Christians, spent a good portion of their lives away from the light of God's word, somewhat respecting what it contained but not willing to submit to it fully. This is very tragic for the word of God can do much for us if we would just let it.

In the Psalms, the writers take time to declare the goodness of God and His gift of His word so that we may do His will. David writes in Psalm 119:105-112 [RSV],

105. Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 106. I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe Thy righteous ordinances. 107. I am sorely afflicted; give me life, O Lord, according to Thy word! 108. Accept my offerings of praise, O Lord, and teach me Thy ordinances. 109. I hold my life in my hand continually, but I do not forget Thy law. 110. The wicked have laid a snare for me, but I do not stray from Thy precepts. 111. Thy testimonies are my heritage forever; yea, they are the joy of my heart. 112. I incline my heart to perform Thy statutes forever, to the end.

God's word is a lighted lamp for us (verse 105). For most of the history of mankind, lighting up our homes and businesses was difficult at best because the power of electricity had not yet been harnessed. Thousand of years passed by in which the only way one could read the Bible was either to read it during the daytime when the sun was out or read at night by candlelight. How helpful was that candle when the sun went down!

Sometimes I work late at night in my office off of my bedroom long after the sun has already gone down. I do not wish to disturb my sleeping wife, Carey, so when I go downstairs to get a drink I leave the light off so as not to awaken her or the kids. Common sense will tell you that walking around in the darkness to go downstairs is not the best of ideas! I cannot tell you how many close calls I had before I decided to use a little light from my cell phone to light my path. There is an old Chinese Proverb that says, “It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.” This is so very true.

How often in life do we curse the darkness when a good source of light is right near us? If we think about it, is it not really true that it is our own pride that is keeping us from doing what is right, and turning to the One True Source of Light, Jesus Christ? When we put away our foolish pride and accept that we need to read the Bible in order to hear and heed God's word, then we will be much happier, for His word will teach us how He would have us live.

No comments: