Friday, May 21, 2010

Our Loving Father

An interesting assignment would be to write your own epitaph. What would it say? For those who are outside of Jesus Christ and living in rebellion due to their disobedience to follow His gospel plan of salvation, they have no hope for any enduring epitaph for good, for those outside of Christ have no hope of eternal life. But for those of us who are in Jesus Christ we alone are able to have that “…peace of God, which passes all understanding…” (Philippians 4:7). Why? Because only those who are clothed in the garments of the Savior (Galatians 3:27) have hope of eternity spent with the Creator of the universe, for they alone are no longer considered to be enemies of God (James 4:4)! In fact, we have such a loving and forgiving God that not only are we no longer considered His enemy, we are considered His children! We have been adopted as His sons and daughters (Ephesians 1:5), and we can call out to Him as our “Abba, Father!” (Romans 8:15). But He does not even stop there, which was more than we could have hoped for. No, our Father is so loving, He is so kind, He is so merciful, and He is so gracious that He makes us joint-heirs with His one and only truly begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and as His children we, too, can share in the glorification of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:17)!

Those who understand what it is to have their relationship restored with their Creator no longer see Him as an angry, vengeful Judge, but as a tender, loving Benefactor for all of mankind who are lost and sundered from their Great Shepherd.

Many people today, particularly those who are caught up in the New Age movements, speak of Mother Nature as the cause and effect of all that comes upon them in this life. But if our eye is fixed upon the Person of Jesus Christ we will see Him as He is on the throne of God as King of kings and Lord of lords. We will understand truly that God is sovereign, and He is in control.

David wrote in Psalm 23, “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures: He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul: He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies: You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

What assurance and what comfort for those who seek the Lord and His will are found within these six verses!

May the Lord bless you and your family!

No comments: