Thursday, September 3, 2009

God's Comfort

Even while hiding out in a cave and literally fleeing for his life, David still found the time to reflect on the nature of God. And David was able to conclude that God was in control, and David placed his faith in Him. 8. Thou hast kept count of my tossings; put Thou my tears in Thy bottle! Are they not in Thy book? 9. Then my enemies will be turned back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me. 10. In God, Whose word I praise, in the Lord, Whose word I praise, 11. in God I trust without a fear. What can man do to me? 12. My vows to Thee I must perform, O God; I will render thank offerings to Thee. 13. For Thou hast delivered my soul from death, yea, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life. (Psalm 56:8-13 [RSV]) Later, David was able to plea to the Lord, trusting in His promises as the One Who is in control, even when David was being punished, and say, 49. Remember Thy word to Thy servant, in which Thou hast made me hope. 50. This is my comfort in my affliction that Thy promise gives me life. 75. I know, O Lord, that Thy judgments are right, and that in faithfulness Thou hast afflicted me. 76. Let Thy steadfast love be ready to comfort me according to Thy promise to Thy servant. (Psalm 119:49-50; 75-76 [RSV])

In one of the most moving passages of Scripture found within God’s holy word, the Prophet Isaiah declares, 28. Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the Earth. He does not faint or grow weary, His understanding is unsearchable. 29. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength. 30. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; 31. but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31 [RSV])

Even during our most difficult and trying of times, God is there to comfort and protect us. “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem” (Isaiah 66:13 [RSV]). God as Comforter was fulfilled in Christ, Who promised His disciples in John 14:16, “And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may be with you forever.” This Comforter, this Spirit, is Christ: 17. Even the Spirit of Truth; Whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (John 14:17-18) Jesus declared He was the Truth in John 14:6, and the Apostle Peter said we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit when we are immersed into Christ (Acts 2:38). It is the Spirit of Christ Which Paul says indwells all believers (Romans 8:9 [RSV]): “But you are not in the flesh, you are in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Him.” Praise God for His comfort!

No comments: