Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Lord's Supper

There is much that can be said about Jesus and His partaking of the Last Supper with the apostles. It was evidently with a heavy heart that Jesus gathered those closest to Him that evening, saying in Matthew 26:21, “Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.”

In writing to the church in Corinth, the Apostle Paul reminded them of the importance attached to remembering our Lord’s death properly. He says in 1 Corinthians 11:23-29,

23. For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when He was betrayed took bread, 24. and when He had given thanks, He broke it, and said, "This is My body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of Me." 25. In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." 26. For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

27. Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. 28. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.

It is interesting to note that although the apostles of the Lord made many mistakes that are recorded in the Gospels, I believe we sometimes fail to realize or acknowledge the times they did things right, and acted in a manner that showed them to be men of worthy character. I believe the night these men were sharing the Passover meal with the Lord in which He took the bread and the cup and proclaimed the time of the new covenant was dawning is one of these occasions.

Look at how these men reacted to those dreadful words in which Jesus announced that one of them was going to betray Him. Did they point their fingers at each other, and start making accusations? Did John look at Peter and say, “Lord, is it him?” Did Bartholomew shout out, “I know who it is, Jesus! It’s gotta be Mathew He’s a Publican, a tax collector for Rome!” No, they did not react this way. They did not even accuse Judas Iscariot who, as it turned out, was the one who betrayed Jesus. No, these men did not accuse their friends. Instead, they asked Jesus very sorrowfully and meekly, “Is it I, Lord?” (Matthew 26:22).

May we all learn to be as humble and examine ourselves as these men did. May we hearken to the words of Paul who says in 1 Corinthians 10:12, “Therefore let any one who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.”

2 comments:

preacherman said...

Wonderful post.
The Lord's Supper is something I look forward to every Sunday. It is the part of service that really draws me closer to God as I remember and celebrate the death and risen Lord.
I want you to know David that you are in my list of favs now and will visit regularly.
Keep up the great work you do with your blog. It is one of the best ones out there!!! :-)

David R. Ferguson said...

Thank you very much for your comments, brother. I have not been on my own site in quite a number of days, so when I logged on this morning and saw what you had written I was very pleasantly surprised and deeply honored.