Monday, March 2, 2009

United Way Wins 4th Straight 32-16

The United Way 6th Grade Boys Basketball team defeated Rural King 32-16 at Riddle School on Saturday, February 28, 2009. The victory leaves United Way with a 4 game winning streak and a 4-1 overall record, as well as the number 1 seed for the upcoming double-elimination post-season tournament, beginning on Saturday, March 7, 2009.
The team had goals of scoring at least 12 points in the first quarter while giving up 2 or less, and as the first quarter ended the score was 18-0 United. The team played extremely well on both ends of the floor as Daniel Ferguson scored 9 points to lead the squad.
The coaching staff pulled the starters and asked the boys to work the ball to players who normally do not score so as to not run up the score, and 6 of United's 9 players got into the scoring column.
United crashed the boards well as they cleaned the glass, hauling down 44 rebounds as everyone on United contributed. The team was led by Malik Joyner with 9 boards and Daniel Ferguson with 8.
United's 1-3-1 trapping zone defense was outstanding again, causing several turnovers, including 31 steals. All but one of United's players had a steal in the game. Landon Crary led United with 7 takeaways, followed closely by Daniel Ferguson with 6 and Malik Joyner with 5. Malik Joyner had 3 blocked shots and Daniel Ferguson had 2.
If there was one area in which definite improvement is needed it would be for the team, particularly the second unit, to take better care of the ball as the team committed 17 turnovers. The second unit also needs to improve on its shooting by taking better shots and running the offense better.
I had a little fun and played a prank on the team before this past Saturday's game, and I even got one of the officials from the league to help me pull it off. The boys have been very good at coming to practices this season, even showing up early, and we have probably held more practices than the other teams. But last week we had some kids miss some practices due to illness and funerals, so I scheduled an additional practice for last Friday evening. However, only two of the boys showed up for it, my son, Daniel, and the son of one of my assistants. The other kids were attending a party at school instead.
I really did not mind at all that they went to this activity, because they are only going to be this age once. Anyway, I got one of the league officials to play along with me as I gathered the team together and told them that I had some bad news to tell them. I said, "As you know, I scheduled a practice for last night, and only 2 of you showed up for it, as the rest of you went to the party instead. And since we only had 2 players at practice, we can only start 2 players for the game. And since we have to have a minimum of at least 4 players to start the game, we are going to have to forfeit." I said this with a straight face, with just a touch of sadness and disappointment in my voice, doing my best Pat Paulson impersonation I could manage. The league official, who I thought was just going to stand there basically as a prop to make it all look official, really got into the spirit of things, and he stated the following, also with a very straight, yet sad, face, "I am sorry, boys, but those are the rules!" You should have seen the faces of the kids! I then just burst out laughing, and I said, "Boys, we are just kidding! I don't mind at all that you went to the party. But if you are all going to go and have some fun like that, then I thought I would have some fun at your expense today!" We all had a very good laugh then, and I think the whole thing just really loosened up the boys a lot, and helped them to have the great start they did, finishing the first quarter with an 18-0 lead!

No comments: